Nik Software has just announced Color Efex Pro 4 and it is a fantastic upgrade to an already excellent program. The software works as a plug-in for Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture while also working as a standalone program for JPGs and TIFFs. I’ve been testing the software for the last month or so and have truly enjoyed using it in my digital darkroom.
Nik Color Efex 4 interface. On the right side, you can see a column with multiple filters used for the same image - Tonal Contrast, Graduated Filters, and Brilliance/Warmth.
The list of upgrades in this new version is significant. here are a few of my favorites:
- Ability to add more than one filter at a time. This allows you to stay in the plug in to make all your changes rather than having to save the change, go back to Photoshop and then open Color Efex Pro again to perform the next change.
- Nik included a border tool that is the same as Silver Efex Pro 2. Now, you can create excellent borders without having to use a separate plugin.
- History browser that allows you to compare previous edits and different looks.
- Visual presets that allow you to quickly explore creative options very quickly.
- New filters such as Detail Extractor, Dark Contrast and Vintage Film.
- GPU processing and multi-core optimization to speed up image rendering.
- Recipes that allow you to save your own combination of filters or download other photographer’s recipes.
You’ll be able to buy Nik Color Efex Pro 4 very soon at this link: